The shampoo has become one of the basic needs now. There are numerous options from Head and Shoulders to Pantene to Sunsilk to Medicam to Garnier.
So how do we select which shampoo is right for us? Following are some of the basic tips that can help in selecting the right shampoo for your hair:
- What’s the type of your hair: This is the basic thing you need to know. Should you get shampoo for dry hair, oily hair or what? Touch your hair and get the feel of it. Find out if it is oily, thin, dry or coarse. Use a shampoo designed for styled or chemically treated hair, for permed hair. For colored hair, go for a mild shampoo, which will not strip your hair of its natural colors. There are different types of shampoos for oily, thin, coarse and dandruff-filled hair. Start by determining the type of your hair and then go for the shampoo designed for it.
- Get your homework done: Check out the ingredients listed on the shampoo bottle. Some shampoos use waxy substances, which can damage the hair. So take care before buying. Professional shampoos, though expensive, are safer. Do not buy shampoos containing ammonium and/or sodium lauryl sulfate, as they are very harsh on your hair. Instead, choose the products containing sodium laureth sulfate
- If you can feel it, believe it: Don’t be taken in by the manufacturer’s recommendation that to get the best hair, you have to use their entire product range. Remember, that all the shampoos clean your hair the same way and won’t make an iota of difference to your hair if you use a particular type of shampoo more frequently than others. Any shampoo you use, will keep some amount of residue on the hair after washing to keep your hair cuticle smooth and clean. Experience how you feel after using the shampoo. If your hair feels clean, then it certainly is.
- Plenty of foam does not indicate the shampoo is the best: When you apply shampoo to your hair while washing, surface molecules gather around the air, giving rise to foam. Excessive foam indicates plenty of tiny bubbles. It does not indicate the cleansing ability of the shampoo, but simply tells you that you have used a lot of shampoo. The best way to find out the quality of shampoo is to enjoy the feel of your hair after using it.
- Consult a professional: Most of us go to a beauty salon once in a while. Men are also increasingly turning to proper hair salons like Depilex, Khawar Riaz etc. in Lahore. So you can ask them about your hair type and what shampoo would suit you. However, do see if the person is trying to sell one of their own products or what. Once Khawar Riaz in DHA-Y block, Lahore sold us a Wella Gel, which somehow resulted in increased rate of hair fall.